Children and the Human Body

The other day I told my daughter that my anatomy class dissected sheep brains. She asked a lot of follow-up questions. Our conversation meandered through topics such as scalpels and surgery before ending on C-sections. She asked to see a picture of a C section scar. Then she asked to see a picture of stitches. Then she asked to see a picture of the incision before stitches. I considered whether the images could be too graphic for her, but she was genuinely interested. Instead of a picture of the incision, I showed her a picture of a freshly born baby with his umbilical cord still attached. Blood, babies, the body - they are all just parts of our human nature, after all.

This philosophy has led me to adopt another potentially controversial practice: I don't care if my kids see me naked. For awhile, it was a little out of my control. When we remodeled our bathroom, we didn't have a door. The kids could waltz in whenever they wanted. It was hard to tell them they were crossing a boundary when there was no physical demarcation present.

Even now, when we do have a door, sometimes they walk in the room when I'm shaving. I politely inform them that I need some time for myself, but I don't rush to hide. The way I see it, the human body is part of God's creation. God's creation is perfect; humans ruin it by being selfish or using others. My kids are still innocent. I have to protect them from other people, but I don't have to "protect" myself from them.

Soon enough, I know it will become awkward, and I'll make sure to lock the door. (Note to self: buy a lock.) In the meantime, my kids are seeing a "real" person - not the airbrushed, sometimes surgically-altered images in the media. They will probably forget what I look like (in fact, I hope they do), but they might remember that an imperfect woman was comfortable in her own skin. In truth, I have many insecurities, but I don't mention them in front of my kids in the hope that they will have healthier relationships with their own bodies.

Really, that's all there is to it. I'm not trying to make a statement or be a rebel; I'm just trying to raise confident, healthy, scientifically-aware children!

Comments

  1. If they ever have questions you don't know how to answer or they are uncomfortable talking to their mom about, feel free to ask me or send them my way. "Aunt" Allie, RN, had a knack for making uncomfortable topics super normal. Good for you for teaching them the facts rather than lying or watering it down. Human anatomy is normal and nothing to be ashamed of.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Can Do Better

Family History

Summer Reflections