Why Would I?

It bothers me that I don't have a clever introduction to this post, but maybe it's just as well. I realize this one has the potential to make people tune me out. They might say, "she never has anything happy to say." "She doesn't appreciate all that she has." "She shouldn't share those things publicly."

But here I am. So...

Have I ever thought about suicide? Yes. I suppose most people have. You just thought about it as you read that sentence. Perhaps the more pointed question is: have I ever considered it?

Yes. I won't go into details, and I will specify that it's not my ideal path (that's an explanation for a future post). It's sufficient for this story to say my thoughts were concerning enough at one point that my then-therapist recommended I go to the ER, just to be safe. There, the medical professionals asked me the always-tricky question: why?

I don't know, but here are some possibilities.

Because the good parts are few and far between, and they seem to be growing rarer. Because in between the good days, I struggle to make it to the end of the day. I try to fit in everything I need to do before I go to sleep. Then I don't get enough sleep and have to wake up just to do it all over again. I'm so, so tired.

Because most days, I can't stand myself. I don't feel good enough for anything. I feel like I've failed almost everything I've done and that I will continue to be a disappointment.

Because I deal with normal life stresses, but my anxiety makes everything appear as a challenge I have to overcome. Bad things seem to happen all at the same time, and they make me think God just doesn't want me to have peace.

Because I have moments I feel like a bad mom. Some moments I realize my illness is whispering untruths to me, but I can't silence the voices. Then I have moments I know are real parenting mistakes, the kind that could have long-term repercussions for my children.

Because I once told my husband I regretted bring life into a world that is pointless and painful. When he replied that isn't true for everyone, I knew the hereditary nature of my disease makes it more likely my kids will experience this, too. That scares me more than I can describe, and sometimes I think I'd rather leave than ever witness their pain.

I could add a lot more, but I think you get the idea. Please know these thoughts aren't always in my head; they represent some of the demons I fight in my darkest hours. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Can Do Better

Family History

Summer Reflections