Hating on my Hometown

As a teenager, a common theme was that many kids expressed a desire to "get out of town." Teaching high school now, it is a trend I see has continued. Honestly, you can't fault teenagers for wanting to leave their homes, explore new cities, and experience more independence.

What does concern me is the number of adults who are negative about this city. The pessimism is so rampant, it's almost a part of the city's culture - a troubling notion. How will we get others to believe in us if we don't even believe in ourselves?

I believe in the city. My family moved back to my hometown for several reasons. Perhaps the most obvious and maybe the most important one is the proximity to other family members. Someone will inevitably accuse me of being here solely for that reason, but the truth is, there are many things I love about this city.

Despite the teenagers' assertions that there "is nothing to do around here," every weekend we are choosing between multiple activities. Summer is filled with concerts, festivals, and games. You can go for hikes in several local parks. You can visit the zoo or children's museum. You can spend a day at the amusement park. You can take in almost any sport at the minor league level. Kids can participate in nearly any activity imaginable. You can lounge on the beach all day if you want.

The beach is a huge asset, though it is extremely undervalued. It is convenient and free to access. While some prefer the ocean, I appreciate the fresh water and absence of sharks or jellyfish. We are also far enough north that brain-eating amoebas are not generally a concern! Once, while visiting a nearby larger city, I overheard a family discussing their impending trip to the beach. They mentioned it would take six hours to get there. An ocean vacation is fun, sure, but that conversation reminded me to be grateful that I can take impromptu trips to the beach every day, and it only takes twenty minutes to get there.

I admit, most of these positives seem centered in the summer season, but there are activities to do year-round, particularly if you know how to look for them. Furthermore, since it is a smaller city, the activities are well-attended but usually not crowded. Crowds, long commutes, and unfriendly neighbors were some of the things I hated about living in a bigger city. Some people thrive in those environments; I do not. Other people might prefer to live further from a city to experience a quieter environment. I like being able to ride my bike most places and to get where I need to go within fifteen minutes. The size of the city works well for me.

On the topic of size, I suppose it is only fair to acknowledge some of the complaints people have about the city. It is true that our metropolis is not large enough to host many of the amenities found in bigger cities. We don't get the big names in concerts. We don't have very many museums. Much to my dismay, we don't have a climbing gym (yet). If you don't mind driving a couple hours to experience those things, it's not a big deal. For some individuals, though, they could be deal breakers.

Another downside of being a smaller city - and a formerly industrial one, at that - is the limited options for jobs. While I refuse to give in to the hysteria and proclaim our city "dead," it is true that certain careers don't exist here. In a previous post, I mentioned that I wasn't able to shadow a genetic counselor because my city doesn't have one. There aren't that many genetic counselors in the United States, so it is highly unlikely that a smaller city would have one. The same goes for other professions. I hope that the city will become more diverse over time in terms of industries available here, but for now, if you have your heart set on a particular job, you may have to leave the city to secure it.

For other issues, being a small city is no excuse. I wish the city were more bicycle-friendly. We have a beautiful waterfront that is woefully underdeveloped. Many people are still resistant to change.

Yet others are pushing for change and creating their own momentum - and new jobs in the process. I once had a discussion with a friend who decided to change careers and open her own coffee shop in the heart of the city. We agreed that those who complain about the city are loud, but in many cases, they aren't doing anything to fix what they perceive to be wrong. The individuals who deserve our attention and respect are those who roll up their sleeves, engage in the community, and make a difference.

I'm not going to pretend my city is perfect, but I love it enough to share my optimism AND to participate in making it even better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Can Do Better

Family History

Summer Reflections