Halloween makes me think of...the kitchen?

Halloween is approximately one and a half weeks away. How did that happen? I put up decorations. We have gone to Zoo Boo. Somehow, it still doesn't feel like Halloween season. The uncharacteristically warm weather might contribute to that fact. I imagine that I haven't paused long enough to soak up autumn, either.

When I think about experiencing holidays, I often think about what made them special during my childhood. To that extent, I have determined that certain holidays are associated with certain rooms in my parents' house. Thanksgiving, not surprisingly, makes me think of the dining room. That is pretty much the only day of the year we use the room for its intended purpose. Christmas makes me think of the living room. Many evenings I would sit on the couch and listen to Christmas music while all the lights were off except the ones on the tree. My mom does a great job decorating the tree, and I felt very calm and present in those moments.

What about Halloween? Most people think about trick-or-treating outside or going to a party somewhere else. For me, Halloween brings up memories of the kitchen. My favorite decorations were found in that room. There was a plush spider with suction-cup legs that my mom attached to the windows. The windows also displayed Mickey Mouse and his friends dressed in costumes. When we were a little older, my mom bought a battery-operated ghost that would move and make noise if you clapped loudly.

I usually did my homework at the kitchen table. I would sit amidst the decorations as I did my work. The sun kept setting earlier as the fall wore on, so we would turn on a string of glowing-eye lights to bring some festive light to the room. On the night of Halloween, we were usually busy with last-minute preparations for trick-or-treating (which was almost an Olympic sport in my neighborhood), so dinner was often something simple like pizza or macaroni and cheese. I loved all of it - the decorations, the atmosphere, and the traditions.

Honestly, the little things made the holidays special when I was a kid. I think I need to find some time to sit and enjoy the season before it's gone. I can't bring back all the magic of childhood, but I can do a better job of appreciating the wonder in the everyday moments.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Can Do Better

Family History

Summer Reflections