College Search

It's college application season. I have a student in one of my classes who is dead-set on attending Duke University. She recently proclaimed that she couldn't focus on anything right now other than gaining admission to her top college choice.

Another group of students discussed an article they had read for a different class. Apparently the article claimed that college choice doesn't really matter. The students seemed dismissive of that notion.

Many of my seniors are taking the SAT one more time this fall in an effort to make themselves more attractive to prospective colleges. I hear them joke with one another that they will cry if their scores do not improve, but I can sense the underlying anxiety in all of these interactions.

I wish I could tell them to relax. I wish I could tell them that the article was (mostly) right. I wish I could tell them that this adolescent rite-of-passage should be an opportunity for reflection and self-discovery rather than stress and turmoil.

I'm not about to make any parents mad at me, though. Therefore, I walk a fine line between encouraging my students to be ambitious and aim high while also considering what's really important in life.

My own story won't earn me any "most accomplished" awards, but it does contain valuable teaching moments. In high school, I was pretty certain that I wanted to enter a scientific field, but I hadn't selected a particular discipline. You may recall from a previous post that I decided to become a physical therapist. In order to help narrow down the tremendous number of college options, I decided to focus on schools that offered a graduate program in physical therapy. I assumed that if I could make connections as an undergrad, it would be easier to gain admission to the graduate program. I researched the best graduate programs and applied to three of the four top schools.

This sounds like a very reasonable approach, right? In a society where achievement and drive are heavily valued, I made a good decision. In reality, I focused so much on following expectations that I forgot to take into consideration my own preferences.

I would not have done well at a very large school. Two of the schools - the University of Pittsburgh and the University of Delaware - would have overwhelmed me. Washington University in Saint Louis made me an extremely attractive offer and was a little more reasonable in size. A family member even told my parents that they should have forced me to go there. It was too far from home, though, and I didn't feel like I fit in when I toured the (admittedly beautiful) campus.

Where did that leave me? I ended up attending a college in my home city and commuting to classes each day. To some, staying in town probably made me a homebody. Although it's not considered a "prestigious" university, I felt that I received a good education. I met many incredibly intelligent individuals. Most of my professors knew me by name. I enjoyed my classes.

I also went to college for a very small amount of money. Many individuals are lucky enough to have parents willing and able to cover the full cost of college. If you have that option, it doesn't hurt to shoot for more expensive schools. My parents were willing to do what they could, but they were unable to afford full tuition. I suspect that the majority of high school students are in a similar situation. In that case, it makes sense to maximize your educational experience while minimizing costs. Many cheaper institutions still offer great academics and deserve another look.

I am content with my college choice, though I do wonder which other schools I might have considered if I had focused on my own wish list. I would have stayed relatively close to home. Visiting only at Christmas and summer break was not an option. I needed a small school. I would have been lost at a massive university. My husband suggested that I might have thrived at an all-girls school, but it would have depended on the environment.

Now that I have finished my cathartic (and probably self-indulgent) examination of my life choices, I will get back to the point. I want these girls to know that they are not defined by the school they attend. If they are not accepted to their top choices, it does not diminish their worth. As long as they are hard working and sincere, they will be successful wherever they go.

And they will be a lot happier after graduation if they don't have a mountain of student debt.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Can Do Better

Family History

Summer Reflections