Memories of Florida

It seems like I blinked and summer was more than half-over. The season never feels quite the same as it did when I was a kid, when it was a respite from school and a time my family could travel together. We had many exciting vacations over the years, but I'm going to focus on my memories of one place in particular: Florida. My grandmother has a condo in Orlando, and we visited relatively frequently when I was young. As a result, I have a stronger emotional reaction to my memories of that place.

My grandma's condo isn't very large, but it is comfortable, and I absolutely adored it. She has a large wicker chair that can rock and spin; my siblings and I loved it so much, we would fight over who got to sit in it. We ate our breakfast, which was usually Cheerios, out of coral pink plastic bowls at a glass table just off the kitchen area. We also played cards at that table, so we would joke about not peeking through the glass.

I shared the guest bedroom with my sister. I have always slept horribly in hotels, but I don't remember having many problems there. The window in the room had blinds, while I was used to curtains and shades at home. I remember being able to see lighting flashes through the slits during the frequent thunderstorms.

The community had a pool a short walk from the condo. When I was first learning to swim, my mom would blow up my water wings, and I would paddle around the shallow end. When I was older, I considered it a treat when my parents let me sit in the hot tub for a few minutes. It was almost like a rite of passage, a signal that I was growing up. On days I didn't want to go in the water, I would try to catch one of the dozens of lizards that appeared everywhere.

Sometimes we would venture into Downtown Disney (now called Disney Springs, I believe). We usually got to pick out one or two small plastic figurines from the big Disney store. I remember trying to decide which outfit of Belle's I wanted. Occasionally, we'd get to pick out something bigger, like a porcelain figurine. Another time, we went into the Lego store and picked out a couple sets. My brothers and I all chose an adventure theme. When we got back to the condo, we played with them together.

We didn't go to a Disney park every year, but it was a more common occurrence when I was younger, when admission didn't cost as much. I loved going on the Thunder Mountain Railroad with my mom since she didn't always want to go on thrill rides with us. We'd leave the parks at night exhausted. I could barely stay awake as we took the tram to our parking spot; we'd struggle to remember if we parked in the Daisy or Donald lot. Sometimes I would be asleep before we even left Disney property.

The scent of the air at night, amidst the palm trees, is probably my favorite smell. I believe I enjoy my memories of Florida so much for many reasons. I spent quality time with my family, when I don't see or hear from them as often anymore. Childhood was a time of wonder and excitement. Simple things, like a small toy of a favorite character, could make my day. I think enthusiasm fades as we age, and sometimes I miss the days of being obsessed with something as innocent as my favorite movie.

I haven't been back to Florida in more than ten years; maybe it's time for another visit!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Can Do Better

Family History

Summer Reflections