What I Really Want My Students To Learn

On the last day I had my seniors, I tried to give them an inspirational talk. It sounded better the second time I gave it after I had a chance to focus and refine it. Of course this isn't the exact speech, but this is generally what I told my students:

Throughout the course of the year, there have been two things we didn't necessarily explicitly discuss but which I hope have been the foundation of everything we've done.

The first is faith. I personally believe that the study of science is also a way to learn about God. Since God is universal, everything in nature reflects Him. It is amazing to consider how DNA controls all body functions or how the laws of physics operate in the universe. So many scientific phenomena and principles are intricate yet elegant. Even after learning about them, you still can't believe they are possible.

Whether you believe that God created the world as described in the Bible, that there is no God, or that the truth lies somewhere in between, it is beneficial to reflect on the complexity and beauty of nature. It can be awe-inspiring and humbling; it can give us a sense of connection with the universe.

The second point is responsibility. Your college experience will be unique depending on subject, school, and professor, but I had many classes in which my entire grade was based on a handful of tests. You need to learn how you study best and how much work you have to put into your classes. I tried to give challenging tests that asked you to apply information so that you could practice your study skills while still being able to fall back on lab and homework grades. I hope you learned to be responsible for yourself.

What do these things have to do with your future? Well, your first challenge is to discern your natural talents. What gifts has God given you? Sometimes these are obvious. Sometimes they are not. Maybe you are good at reading people's emotions and calming others. Along with your talents, you have to learn your limitations. If you want to be a pediatrician but the sight of blood makes you faint, you may need to rethink your goals.

Along with your gifts you also need to figure out your passions, and then you have to figure out how to combine your talents and interests to make a difference. It doesn't have to be through your job; it could be through volunteering or through your family. It also doesn't have to stay the same during your whole life. Combine your faith and a sense of responsibility to make a positive impact in the world.

I know it's hard to figure all these things out. I hope this class helped you learn more about yourself: what you like or don't like and what you are capable of accomplishing so that maybe you feel a little more confident in your future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Can Do Better

Family History

Summer Reflections